A U.S. citizen can petition for his or her family member to come and live in the United States permanently. But who are these lucky few relatives who get to be sponsored and live the American dream?

The USCIS designates the spouse, unmarried children under the age of 21 and parents of a U.S. citizen as immediate relatives who get special immigration priority to immigrate to the States without having to wait in line. What this means is, if you fall in one of the USCIS and/or your consulate processes the application, you will immediately receive a Green Card and be able to live in the United States. But as many of you know, immigration applications can get complicated and sometimes a simple task of proving that you are in fact truthfully married to a U.S. citizen, or are a family member, and thus, qualify for the Green Card, may prove to be a challenge.

That is why we at the Law Firm of Moumita Rahman and highly experienced and extremely devoted attorneys and staff, who understand the importance of these family based Green Card applications and thus take care and great precision in compiling your petitions.

And we do know that no one likes to stay away from his or her family for too long. So, there are two ways for immediate relatives to get their Green Card:

  1. If you are in the United States, you could concurrently adjust your status at the same time your U.S. citizen files the petition; or
  2. If you are outside the United States, you can seek consular processing after the petition filed by your U.S. citizen petitioner is approved.

As mentioned, immigration processes can get complicated and there are many other components associated with getting your green card, so it is best that you seek professional help. Don’t forget, any arrests or convictions may seriously jeopardize your chances of getting a green card and eventually becoming a citizen.